Monday, May 19, 2008

Katie - Day 3

Even though the title of this post is "Day 3" it really is the events of day 2 going into day 3 at the hospital. We found out on day 2 that Katie had jaundice (although day 2 in the hospital for me was just past Katie's 24 hours of life outside the womb, lol). The pediatrician was concerned because her bilirubin level was really high for her being so young (she should have been in the 40th percentile at 24 hours old, but was in the 95th percentile. By the numbers, she should have been around a 4 at 24 hours old, but was an 11). They took her out of my room on the evening of day 2 and kept her under the ultraviolet lights until some time the next day, when they switched her to the bili-blanket where she stayed until the morning of day 4 when we were finally able to go home (I saw "we" because Miami Valley Hospital was pretty great to allow me to stay in a free room with her on the night of day 3, after I was discharged. Katie was in the free room with me; the nursing staff just came in periodically to check her and draw blood).




No comments: